This statement of faith is the basis of our unity and our evangelism (drafted in 1993, revised in 2010). We stand behind, and hope to share these central elements of the gospel with all new students at MIT. We affirm these as the basic tenets of our faith and seek to proclaim the gospel message as embodied in the statements below.
We believe in:
- The unity of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- The sovereignty of God in creation, revelation, redemption, and final judgment.
- The divine inspiration, entire trustworthiness, and infallibility of the Bible as it was originally given; it is the only written Word of God and has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of all people since the Fall, rendering them subject to God's wrath and condemnation.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty, dominion, and pollution of sin solely through the sacrificial death (as our representative and substitute) of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The bodily resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the dead and His ascension to the right hand of God the Father.
- The presence and power of the Holy Spirit in the work of conviction, regeneration, justification, sanctification, and adoption into the Kingdom of God, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the believer, which allows Christians to minister and live a holy life.
- The justification of the sinner by the grace of God through faith alone, in Christ alone, which anyone may receive through repenting, believing, and receiving Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
- The one holy universal Church which is the body of Christ and to which all who put their faith in Jesus Christ belong.
- The expectation of the glorious and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The above statement of faith is based on that of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students. UCO also affirms the beliefs laid out in the Nicene, Apostles', and Athanasian Creeds.